Tuesday 23 April 2013

A busy practice

Well, I feel like there's an awful lot bouncing around in my head at the moment - it was a busy weekend, moving into our new flat, realising all the things we don't have, meeting up with people, teaching some yoga...

What is the best way of practicing when you feel like there's no time, you've got no energy, and when you do get to do some practice you're stopping every 5mins to jot something down that you've just thought of or remembered you have to do? I guess you just have to be with it. Be busy 100%, be knackered 100%, acknowledge all those thoughts that busy around in your mind, watch them coming and going, coming and going - but just watch. Nari kiru as my zen teacher's teacher (Shinzan Roshi) always says - be 100% the situation.

On Sunday we went to meet some friends to watch the London marathon. Since we'd just moved in and everything was still in boxes I was quite keen to get on with the unpacking, but it was beautiful and sunny, and the marathon's not on every day, so I went. I was due to cover a yoga class at 3pm, so at about 2 I motioned to my girlfriend that we should be heading off if we were going to have enough time to get home, have something to eat, then get to the class in time to set up and have a few moments of quiet. But since we were there with friends, the gathering of our things and the saying goodbye took some minutes. I found myself with feelings of stress - come on, let's go, I don't want to be rushed before the class, I need to have lunch - but at the same time I knew it was important to say goodbye to our friends and be 100% present with them in those moments. It's difficult to find that balance. I think I have a tendency of getting too stressed and anxious about leaving enough time to get places, but it's also important to realise that it does no-one any favours to arrive late, hungry and flustered at a yoga class you're about to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment