Tuesday 7 May 2013

my new classes are the wight choice...

I'm very excited... Tomorrow I start my new career as a yoga teacher! Wednesdays 07:30-08:30 ZenYoga Camberwell, £10 drop-in price. Then Thursdays 19:00-20:30 ZenYoga Camberwell, £14. Do come along if you can!

I need to spend the afternoon today though doing some practice for myself. Over the bank holiday weekend we went down to the Isle of Wight with a few friends to do the Isle of Wight Randonee - a one-day 100km cycle ride all the way round the island. After such a long and protracted winter I've been thinking we're long overdue a nice sunny weekend, and boy was it a nice sunny weekend!! Plenty of sun, but not too hot with a nice breeze to help cool us off after each and every one of those *** hills…! (What else should you expect from a coastal ride I suppose.) Still, it was a great day - the longest and hilliest single-day ride I'd ever done. And considering I've got a touring bike (not one of those very fancy lift-with-your-finger road bikes like most others) I was pretty happy with my pace.




A non-competitive cycle ride - that was refreshing. This meant that we all stayed together as a group and were able to enjoy each others' company as we pootled along (or puffed and panted in my case). And I must say, we had a lovely group (all my girlfriend Jo's friends). Easy to camp with, easy to chat to, and thankfully happy to throttle back to accommodate those of us who were weaker links in the chain. With four couples together I can't say there weren't any issues that came up. I think the biggest for me was being (un)comfortable as a new-comer to (and new boyfriend in) a well-established friendship group, and being judgemental of the behaviour of people when those people might be from slightly outside your normal friend-types. Seeing past the superficial and appreciating that everyone is in a different place with different stories and backgrounds is a very very difficult lesson to learn. Being patient and soft, not letting these judgements dictate your behaviour, and staying relaxed - all very rich soil from which to grow and learn.

I'm also pretty pleased not to be aching, either yesterday or today (ok, maybe a little in the shoulders)!! I led a little group yoga class the day before the race - some very simple stretching and mobility sequences - and of course there was some warm-down stretching at the end of the day, but I must say I'm surprised I'm not so stiff I can't tie my shoe laces, or so sore I can't sit down. I put it down to the yoga. Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment