Friday 10 May 2013

Classes away...! [read like "chocks away...!"]

Well, no-one came to my first class on Wednesday morning except my lovely girlfriend Jo. I should not only thank her for supporting me, but thank her for going through the class with feedback and thoughts on how well/not well my sequences and descriptions worked. It's like gold dust, comments from an experienced yoga practitioner - and teacher to boot!

Besides the nitty gritty of how I explained (or failed to explain) a certain sequence in a way she could grasp easily, we also discussed what people might want from a morning class (comments welcome by the way...) I think maybe starting with a nice long relaxation and wake-up, then building the pace to something fairly energetic, and finishing with some longer stretches before the closing thanks might be the best way to go - i.e. leaving out the final relaxation. You want to leave people in an awake and energised state for the day ahead. Just some thoughts, I'll have to see what the feel is when I actually start getting some students!

But I did get one whole one student (+Jo!) to my class on Thursday evening!! This was the first 1h30 class I've taught in a very long time - boy it's quite long when you're used to just 1hr... I decided to skip out some of the slower warm-up kind of stuff I normally do at the beginning and get straight on with a flow sequence I've been working on. It was lovely, but complicated to teach. Because it's different to normal "yoga", it takes a while for people to get it, and it's going to take me a while to get really fluent in it. I think in the future I need to break down the sequence and teach it bit-by-bit, building it up first, then putting it together maybe at the end - or maybe even not until after a few classes. Lots to work on… A 1h30 class needs a bit more thought than a 1hr class.

I got some advertising up around the Camberwell area too. Nice little posters attached to the railings in a few parks - see below. We'll see if that generates some interest. Next step is to see if I can get some more classes elsewhere...

My poster in Myatt's Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment