Thursday 30 May 2013

Overwhelmed by advertising

Since beginning this yoga venture, I've found myself starting to look at the world through different eyes. Everywhere it seems there are companies, ventures, services, ideas, all vying for our attention. On the high street, on flyer notice boards, on the internet (although that's a little more hidden), on twitter - all this advertising shouts (some louder than others) for you to look, read, understand, participate, spend. Obviously this is just my perception changing.

Before, when I had a job with a salary, and a stable, everyday routine, I don't think I really ever looked at all this. If I needed something, I'd google it or ask around, then go get it - or go to it. Simple as that. The variety available was good. London was the best place to be because the variety was largest. But now I feel a little overwhelmed...

As I write this, the idea of memes pops into my mind. A meme is an idea, behaviour, or belief existing in culture that, like genes, becomes replicated through imitation and communication. Also like genes, they supposedly mutate and respond to selective pressures (survival of the fittest).

I'm thinking about how to market my existing classes, and weighing up the pros and cons of starting new classes in various centres. How do you go about attracting people? Is the market flooded with teachers, classes everywhere (gyms even with cover lists that are difficult to get onto); or flooded with students, not enough classes for the demand? How do you thrive in a busy market-place, facing the competition head-on, seeing it as a challenge rather than something insurmountable?

I'm very inexperienced at this. In astronomy, a certain amount of self-marketing was always needed, but (fortunately or unfortunately) I always worked in a fairly niche sub-field. It was more about getting people to understand the importance of what I was doing than competing against others doing similar projects.

I had a, in the end quite inspirational, meeting today with the manager of the Awareness Centre in Clapham (had a lovely feel, and I suspect they do some really great work there). He said that to some extent the success or failure of something like a yoga class is partly up to the Universe (fate, luck, or whatever). But, crucially, he also thought that success comes when you (the teacher) are ready. Not when the potential students are ready, but when you are ready. I think he's right. It's about having your energy in the right place, heading in the right direction.

Am I ready?

I'm not teaching my yoga, my mindfulness practices. I'm simply a conduit, a channel through which these practices are being communicated. And (for the record) I think the practices are awesome! - transformational maybe, connecting certainly, plain everyday useful absolutely.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark,

    No comments from me about advertising and this particular thread, but just wanted you to know that I am reading your blog and enjoying it immensely.

    I feel a sense of calm and understanding when I read your words and I am glad to still be doing some occasional yoga practice (tonight in fact!).

    I just wish you had some classes centrally or in north London!

    Best of luck with the classes - I am sure they will catch on soon. The word will spread... And enjoy your last hurrah with Astrophysics this week!

    Jo (UCL)

    ReplyDelete