Thursday 4 July 2013

Up and down in Murcia

Why do we practice yoga? Why do we teach yoga? What are we trying to cultivate?

These seem to be the central themes of this teacher workshop/retreat I'm on with Jonathan Monks (yogamonks) and Beth Win (urban yoga monkey) here at Tara Casa near Murcia in Spain.

Aren't these the most important questions we can ask? - both as a student and a teacher?

Let me give what my answers are right now: I practice because I want to feel connection, to feel out beyond my comfort zone, to bring the different aspects of my being (physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual) into union/togetherness, and to deepen my understanding of who I truly am. I teach because I can't not(!), and I've now decided to really devote my self to teaching because I think I have knowledge enough to start helping people along this path. What am I trying to cultivate? Connection, letting go of yourself to become yourself more fully - through Jonathan's mantras of no contraction, no isolation, body in union.

I had a pretty powerful experience today with regards to what a practice tries to cultivate. Let me try to give you an impression of this through the following little example - please do try this at home!

Stand with your feet together, ankles touching. Straighten your legs (but don't lock the knees), engage your thighs and strengthen your legs. How do you feel in your body? And in your mind?
Now separate your feet hip width apart, toes facing forward still, soften and bend your knees a little, soften the undersides of your feet. Now how do you feel in your body, and in your mind?

Do you feel a difference? Jonathan's practice is based on softening, allowing, and feeling down into the ground, whereas many styles of yoga (e.g. Astanga) encourage that energetic squeeze in and up. The intensions are different. What they are cultivating is different. No judgements, they're just different.

What seems so critically important in all this is to be conscious of exactly what it is you want to cultivate (both as a student and teacher) and why.

Check back in next week for more on this incredible retreat...! I might have started digesting it properly by then!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this Mark! Enjoy your retreat, wish I was there! Say hi to all the Sadhana crew.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Mark!
    I must say that my days on the teachers retreat gave me tons of stuff to nurture both my own practice and teaching.
    You were a source of inspiration in that too, along with Dylan the dog.
    If you like you can read about it here http://rocknrollyogini.com/2013/07/05/and-the-dog-said-be-here-now/

    Xx Maria

    ReplyDelete